A nice bowl of soup if the perfect food when you're staying in on a cold chilly day.
Photo Credit: hummusapien.com
In this recipe, the main ingredient we're going to be using is cauliflower. Cauliflower is a great way vegan way for thickening a soup and giving it that creamy texture. It's rich in vitamins C, K, B and also minerals like magnesium, potassium and manganese. It is low in calories and is sometimes used in place of ingredients such as potatoes and rice.
CREAMY VEGAN CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Alexis: Alexis Joseph, MS, RD, LD
Recipe type: Soup
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- A couple sprigs fresh thyme, to taste
- 1 tsp salt (more or less to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside.
- Place red onion and bell pepper on a baking sheet. Add oil and toss to coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway, or until veggies are golden.
- Heat a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add carrots and celery. Saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cauliflower and saute for another 5 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, thyme, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Ladle a couple cups of soup into a high-speed blender. Add cashews and blend (careful, it will be hot) until completely smooth. Blend the rest of the soup in batches until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.